Saturday, July 18, 2009

I guess you really shouldn't go back

Just a quick note on something I found rather funny. The current Variety online review for the new Mischa Barton fright-fest The Homecoming features the following publicity photo:
Beneath the photo is this caption: "Mischa Barton is Matt Long's psychotic ex-girlfriend in thriller 'Homecoming.'"

For those of you wondering which of the above persons is Mischa Barton in heavy prosthetics, the answer is, unfortunately, none. That is a picture from Harold Pinter's Tony-award-winning play from 1967, The Homecoming.

I guess the folks at Variety are hoping to alert us to the new movie's parallels to Pinter's wrenching ode to Oedipal dysfunction. It's a real public service actually. For who among us was likely to make the connection between a film that critics are calling a "kiddie Fatal Attraction" that is neither "thrilling enough or cheesy enough," and a work by a Nobel Laureate that stirred The New Yorker's critic to write, "The Homecoming' changed my life. Before the play, I thought words were just vessels of meaning; after it, I saw them as weapons of defense. Before, I thought theatre was about the spoken; after, I understood the eloquence of the unspoken."

The happenstance of a shared name, be damned. Someone please alert the Nobel committee that art is afoot. They might want to warm up the engraving machine now. I bet they've never had to give a single Drama award to three separate writers and follow that with the words, 'Based on an idea by...'

No comments:

Post a Comment